Thursday, July 27, 2006

Chaos!

I am fed up with my apartment management. They are completely incompetent! There have been 5 leaks in my apartment now, the kitchen sink (twice), the A/C, the guest toilet, and now a slab leak in MY bedroom. There have also been 4 instances of mold, one in the master bath when we first moved in, one in the kitchen (related to the leaky sink), one in the living room from the rainy season two years ago, and now the slab leak. Also, the frame pulled off of the window pane, the toilet wouldn't stop running, a heater vent broke, and the light cover in the kitchen just fell down one day.

My aunt Sue and Stacy were to stay with me and T for a week with 3 of my cousins, ages 3, 5, and 12. I pulled out the sofa bed for my aunts, one cousin is camped out on the lounge, one sleeps on the sofa cushions on the floor, and the final cousin sleeps on the second couch. The living room is strewn with bags, clothes, blankets, and pillows everywhere. It's been like a giant sleepover.

So in the midst of preparing for them to arrive on Sunday, I clean up my room pretty. I wash the sheets and duvet, I dust, I move some boxes out to the garage, and I vacuum. To effectively vacuum, I move around some of the lighter furniture, namely the steamer truck at the foot (or head, it's a daybed) of my bed. What do I find but a huge wet spot under the trunk, with mold on the carpet and on the trunk. I called and left a message with the front office, since this was 9:00 at night. Monday they send someone over and T said they told him the concrete slab under the carpet may be seeping. They said they would come back Tuesday to fix the problem.

So I get home Tuesday to find my bedroom furniture shoved into one corner of the bedroom, and 1/2 of the carpet and padding rolled up. They had covered half the floor with a sealant and had put a fan on it to dry. Maintenance told T when they finished at 4:30 that they would be back in an hour to check if the floor was dry and to clean up. Well, they never showed. I ended up moving the fan and unrolling the carpet at 9:30 at night just so I could move my bed into a position where I could crawl in to sleep. I came home Wednesday to find my room in the same condition, they hadn't come back at all. So the left the room completely inaccessible, I couldn't even get clothes out of the closet, and with the carpet tacks exposed with a 3 and 5 year old running around the apartment.

Smart.

So I hope all is taken care of when I get home today. I am just sick of them taking forever to appear to fix a problem, and then taking forever to fix the problem.

No comments: